Tips for a Safe and Healthy Holiday

The holiday season is a time for celebration and joy with our friends and families. Research shows that the number of poisoning incidents involving children rises during the holiday season. During the hustle and bustle of the holidays it is easy to overlook items in the home that could cause a poisoning. The Nebraska Regional Poison Center would like to offer a few tips on how to make this “the most wonderful time of the year.”

* Visiting relatives may bring their medications. 59,000 children go to Emergency Departments every year for a poisoning and 48% of these cases involve children accessing grandparent’s medications. When visitors arrive for the holidays make sure to store their medications up and out of reach. You may want to store meds in a locked box.

* Disc batteries may be found in toys, games, watches, remotes and musical greeting cards. If swallowed, they can become lodged in the throat and cause serious injury or death if not removed. Also avoid toys that contain magnets since they may be harmful if swallowed.

* Alcohol is found in holiday drinks and in gifts such as perfume and cologne. It is important to clean up immediately following all holiday parties. Remove all items that may contain alcohol and keep out of reach of small children. Remember to empty all ashtrays – only a few cigarette butts swallowed is enough to harm a child.

* Lamp oil in candle lamps is frequently used this time of year. These fuels may be colored and look like pretty beverages to small children. It only takes a small amount to cause choking and a chemical pneumonia if it goes into the lung. Aroma and fragrance oils smell good and attract small children, but can also be a choking hazard and cause vomiting.

* Keep small children and animals away from seasonal plants such as mistletoe, holly berries, yew plants and poinsettias. Poinsettias are not the fatal poison that they were once believed to be, but in large amounts can cause upset stomach.

* Be mindful of Christmas tree icicles, tinsel and garland as these can be a choking hazard if swallowed. Snow sprays help with holiday décor, but the pressurized container may cause eye damage if sprayed directly in the eye. Glitter can be irritating to the eyes and lungs. Snow globes often have glitter, water and may contain glycols, but usually in low concentrations.

* Remember your pets this holiday season. Chocolate, raisins, grapes and some nuts can be very toxic to animals.

The Nebraska Regional Poison Center offers tips on holiday safety and poison prevention.

When you call 1-800-222-1222, you will talk immediately to a

Registered Nurse or Pharmacist 24/7/365.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.